Friday, October 18, 2019 / by Lauren McGinnis
Does your kitchen need an upgrade? Here are some perfect kitchen upgrades that don't require a total remodel!
If your kitchen leaves you wanting more, but you just don't have the time or the budget to go for a full on remodel then don't worry! We have found the perfect kitchen upgrades, that don't require you to gut and completely remodel your area, that will have you wanting to host a dinner party in no time!
Zillow.com recently conducted a study and found these 7 zones to be the best places to upgrade without breaking the bank. They suggest focusing on any combination of the 7 main zones when planning a kitchen upgrade. The zones are; cabinets, backsplash, countertops, shelving, lighting, pulls and knobs, and appliances and plumbing.
If you are ready to jump into a kitchen upgrade in any of these zones, this is what Zillow recommends for each zone so that you can get the most bang for your buck.
- Cabinets - can be repainted, refaced, or replaced in about a weeks time.
- If you are happy with the layout of your current kitchen but not with the look of the cabinets, they can be refaced. When you reface your cabinets, you simply have them covered with a new veneer.
- If you have an older kitchen with cabinets from several decades ago, you could also totally replace the doors for a new more modern look. The doors to your cabinets can simply be removed and new ones purchased and put on.
- If you like the style and the veneer of your cabinets, but want to brighten things up then you can opt to have them painted. Painting cabinets takes the least amount of time, and is the most cost effective.
- Backsplash - can make a huge impact in a small area. You have several choices from paint, to wallpaper, to tile there really is no limit here.
- If you aren't quite sure what your style is or how long you will be in your home, you can use peel-and-stick tiles. These will offer you a way to test out various colors, shapes, and textures until you know exactly what you want.
- If you are confident in your style you could opt for a tile backsplash. Adding tile is a more permeant change, but it is very durable and could add some much needed texture to a small space.
- If tile scares you, using a high gloss paint can offer a bold color that is easy to clean after cooking.
- If you are not afraid to think out of the box, there are now so many styles, patterns, and textures of wallpaper that you can find almost any thing you could think up!
- Countertops - this is one of the first things that people notice in a kitchen. It is also one of the most costly things to upgrade.
- If you love the look of stone but not the price of it, formica countertops can offer you the look at a fraction of the price. Formica has come a long way in quality and options recently. Formica is also one of the most cost effective ways to change out your countertops quickly.
- If you are wanting to upgrade your counter tops to stone, go check out your local stone yards. Come with pictures and measurements, often times there will be pieces of slabs left over that are on sale. If your measurements match you can get a great piece of stone for a fraction of the price.
- You can also opt for a more modern option, like stainless steel or concrete.
- Shelving - one of the easiest things to add to a kitchen to increase your storage space.
- If you love the look of open shelving but have cabinets currently you do have options. If your cabinets do not have lip molding in the interior, you can simply remove the doors and have the look of open shelves.
- If you love your cabinets but need more storage just look for a wall. You can find several choices at local home improvement stores. Pick your favorite and mount them to any open wall space in your kitchen.
- Lighting - can drastically change the look and feel of any space.
- Fluorescent lighting can be harsh! Tear out that harsh light and replace it with can lighting. You can use a brighter watt that is less harsh on your eyes.
- You can also add halogen fixtures, or light tape under cabinets to help with food prep and visibility.
- Space over an island or bar, and over the sink are the perfect areas to add a statement piece like a pendant light.
- Pulls and Knobs - are the easiest and cheapest way to get an instant facelift in the kitchen!
- If you love your cabinets but are missing a little pop of something try switching out the knobs. Opt for a metallic or something with a different shape.
- Appliances and Plumbing - new appliances can bring your whole kitchen together.
- Dated appliances will leave your kitchen feeling incomplete. Now there are options for every style out there. You can upgrade to stainless steel, or maybe the retro style is more your taste. After spending the money and time upgrading the rest of your kitchen, shopping for new appliances will feel like putting the cherry on top.
- When upgrading things in the kitchen, don't forget to include things like the faucet, sink, and bar area. While they are not as visible as appliances you will notice the items that you skipped over.